For those of you who are counting down with me, we are 3 weeks in and have 9+ weeks to go in Mike’s overseas assignment! In my basketball-centric mind, we’ve just finished the first quarter and we’re gearing up for the next 12 minutes of play! Gosh, I wish there were only 36 minutes left in this game!!
Side note: breaking things into quarters is something I’ve done as long as I can remember. When I head out for a long run, I’ll break the hour into quarters and think through my strategy for each quarter. Q1 – find your stride. Q2 – power play into the half. Q3 – maintain the lead. Q4 – push through to the end. We’ll see how these strategies help me deal with my best friend being 7,222 miles away. 😦
Over the last 3 weeks with Mike gone, I’ve realized how different things are around here.
1. Less Starbucks. I’m off chai lattes. It’s my own sort of protest to Mike’s absence.
2. More sleep. I’ve officially earned my “grandma” title with 9-10+ (glorious) hours a night.
3. Driving vs. Metro. I was car-less for about 18 months. Having a car at my disposal is nice, but I’m starting to feel like I’m abusing the power. Back to metro for me, until a Target run is necessary!
4. More email. More skype. More g-chat. Thank god for the iPad!
5. Less traveling. My travel buddy is gone! No trips on the calendar until Chicago for Memorial Day!! Making up for this lack of wandering by planning an extensive Europe vaca for a little post-assignment getaway!
Moral of the story – we’ve still got 3 quarters to go. We do pretty well even being apart, but that doesn’t mean we like it. Not sure I’ll make it to July without a chai tea latte. Now, that’s the true test of my strength :). They do say it takes 21 days to form a habit! Maybe there is hope for me!