If you had to eat one everyday food for the rest of your life, what would it be? What could you not live without?
For me, it’s bananas. I usually eat a banana a day, doesn’t matter if it is breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack. With sunflower butter, mixed in oatmeal, blended in a smoothie, sliced on top of a rice cake, in a muffin, as part of a fruit salad, or just plain right out of the peel. I’m loco for bananas!
Perhaps this is why growing up, one of my nicknames was Mary Munky (yes, spelled just like that).
Bananas sometimes get a bad rap for having a lot of natural sugar, but I believe the pros outweigh the cons here. The sugar is all natural and gives you a burst of energy without the crash later.
Top 7 reasons why you should get on the banana train!
- Bananas are naturally fat-, cholesterol- and sodium-free. Boom shakalaka
- Bananas are a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6.
- A bunch of bananas is known as a “hand” and a single banana is a “finger”! “Slicing up a finger into my oatmeal” just got so much more interesting!
- There’s a whole lot of potassium per finger – which helps guard against high blood pressure and stroke.
- It’s nutrients make you HAPPY. Tryptophan, serotonin and norepinephrine help prevent depression while promoting feelings of well-being and relaxation. B6 in bananas helps fight off sleeplessness, mood swings and irritability.
- Banana’s fiber helps keep things on the reg
- Eat a banana instead of popping an asprin for a hangover. You’ll calm your belly and replenish all those nutrients a night of drinking depleted.
And as an extra bonus – you can draw on them! Or create a mini-sculpture. Who knew bananas were so funny?
Edited to add: in my posting haste, I forgot to include the most hilarious banana story of them all. Introducing the banana slicer. No you don’t need one, but you absolutely need to read the user reviews on amazon.
Bananas will not only give you energy, fill you up and satisfy your sweet tooth but you can also carve animals out of them! Tell me bananas aren’t the best, most entertaining food ever!